Did you know International Women’s Day originated in New York City? I didn’t. I also didn’t know it first dates back to 1908. About 15,000 women marched through New York City demanding shorter hours, better pay, and the right to vote. SO POWERFUL. Makes me think about how much we can accomplish together. It also makes me think about how if we align our actions with our words and vice versa, we can be one hell of a force to be reckoned with.
Speaking of force, last night, Tuesday March 7, I was invited to join Nike Chicago in celebrating International Women’s Day at an event titled: THE FORCE IS FEMALE. I was able to experience a speaker panel of incredible influential Chicago women, a goal setting workshop led by Life Coach Tiffany Louise, and a 2.5 mile run led by NRC Coach Robyn. I could go on and on about how great the event was, but I thought it’d be more beneficial to share my take-aways from the event. Here they are:
· You must have a strong mindset
· Lead by example
· Don’t wait for an invitation. Invite yourself into the rooms you want to be in
· Don’t let someone tell you “you can’t”. Put in the work & prove it to yourself
· Energy is contagious and it will propel you forward or drag you down.
· Don’t dim your light for anyone
· Community and relationships are keys to happiness
· Be very selective on who you let into your world
· Create a tribe/squad/gang of friends who are real and vulnerable
· Being jealous is normal. Choose to acknowledge it, be transparent & let it go
· Blowing out someone else’s candle won’t make yours shine brighter
· The point at which we have the most ability to affect change is in our thoughts
· When we change our thoughts, we change how we feel, and when we change how we feel, we have the power to act differently
· When thoughts come up that present barriers to our goal, we can focus on the feeling we will have after our goal is accomplished (joy, relief, accomplishment, being proud, excitement, thankfulness etc.) And use that as leverage to get us through the current discomfort. Chase the feeling!
Even though you may have heard these before, it doesn’t hurt to hear them again. We must constantly remind ourselves of wisdom, advice, & inspiration that fuels our fire. I challenge you to pick your favorite take-away from this post and focus on it for the month of March. I’m choosing the last bullet point. Which one are you choosing??